Wednesday, June 29, 2011

June 22 Newsletter

And another one...

Farm Happenings

It seems like something is always trying to get in the way of our crop. This time it is the weeds. It happens on every farm, around this time. The weeds get a little out of control. But it is time to take the crops back. I am continuously planting things like beets, carrots, and some greens, but my energy is going to be focused on getting some of the weeds out. Now, the weeds are large enough that they are easily used as mulch that will not blow away, so if there is an upside to weeds, that is it.

My other grievance is the mice. I think they were following me as I planted the squash seeds and eating them out of the ground. I picked out four varieties of summer squash that I wanted to grow- golden zucchini, yellow crookneck, Benning’s Green Tint, and Odessa. Out of all of the squash seeds I planted (200), 2 of them are sprouting. The rest have little claw marks, dirt mounds, and half eaten seeds where they once were. So now we are left with what they had for half price at Sherbondy’s. Yellow Straightneck, Yellow crookneck, and what may or may not be a green zucchini plant. Hopefully they will make it and we will some summer squash. I am not totally convinced that Dan is not releasing mice into the summer squash patch as he hates zucchini.

Despite all of this, I am very pleased with the garden so far. I am confident we will get the weeds under control, I am sure mice do not enjoy zucchini plants as much as the seeds, and I realize we will never control the weather. So we will plod along and keep giving you what we have every week. This week have some of the old and some of the new, just the way I like it.

What’s in the Bag…

Green Garlic: This is a mild garlic (think green onions) and can be used just like regular garlic.

Shell Peas: More shell peas…Happy shelling!

Snow Peas: More Snow Peas. There may be some of these that look like shell peas in your bag, but the pod is edible. In fact, I think these are my favorite snow pea—even when they get full, the pod and pea is absolutely delicious. I save my snow pea snacking while I am picking until I reach this row.

Rainbow Chard: Love the chard…Again, this can be used a s a braising green.

Beets: This is the first of the beets though there will be more to come. We have many varieties planted so prepare to be surprised. The greens on the top are also delicious.

Turnips: You have tasted the greens. Now you get the roots. I personally like them both, but the roots are a little more versatile. They make a great addition to mashed potatoes or roasted.

Napa Cabbage: This is the strangest napa cabbage I have seen. Usually it grows into a dense head but because I attribute everything to the weather, I am saying the weather made it grow into a very loosely packed head. Whatever reason, the leaves can be used in the same way. To me, they have a mustard-like flavor.

or

Head Lettuce: This is the variety Blonde de Paris. It is the only head lettuce that made it out of the greenhouse. I will be trying a different variety this fall although this is very tasty.


Recipes

Due to the electronic nature of this newsletter, I am going to include links to some recipes, rather than the recipes themselves.

Turnip Gratin: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/11/turnip-gratin/

Linguine with Pea Pesto: http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/06/linguine-with-pea-pesto/#more-7628

Spicy Soba Noodles with Shiitakes and Napa Cabbage: http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/08/so-good-soba/

Braised Napa Cabbage with bacon, red wine vinegar, and mint: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/braised-napa-cabbage-with-bacon-red-wine-vinegar-and-mint-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment