Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Epitome of Recycling



I think we have officially topped our recycling efforts. Months ago (pre-snow), I noticed our neighbor had dismantled part of a 700 foot cyclone fence, complete with barbed wire running along the top. I thought it was perfect! Yes, I have managed to see the beauty in cyclone fencing and barbed wire. You see, we have been counting the deer and turkeys that graze in our farm patch. The highest number of deer we have seen is 13...at one time. So although you may think three strands of barbed wire is overkill, we don't think so. I feel a great responsibility to our CSA members and that means protecting our crop at all costs. In this case, it means dismantling the fence by hand, performing precision surgery with Papa (aka using a chainsaw to cut a giant grapevine from the wires), and rolling up 2100 feet of barbed wire. After two long days and some serious help from the Durick boys, the fence is almost down. We need some heavy machinery to take out the rest. If all goes as planned, this weekend we (and by we I mean Dan) can finish getting it down AND putting it back up. Just to make sure we get an early start, today we started planting in the little garden, which is already fenced in. I will keep everybody updated on the progress. Hopefully, my next post will show our new fence.

2 comments: