Saturday, May 1, 2010

First Day at Market!

Well, the first day at market was definitely interesting and what I would consider a success, for the first day. Despite our best intentions and our pledge to be organized every single day before market, we ended up staying up half the night (Mom stayed up all night and cleaned the chicken house...because she couldn't sleep), in order to prepare the little produce we had for market. Actually, we were also digging out items from last year, most of which were stored where there was a sleeping baby. Fun night. But we made it out on time, without one of our items, but on time, nonetheless.

At market we had some eggs, green onions, baby arugula, herb pots, asparagus, garlic chives, and stinging nettles. We have some baby lettuces and spinach ready but we are saving those for our dear CSA members. It was a beautiful day, the vendors were excited and chatting about making it through the winter, the customers were pleased with the fresh produce, and everyone was very friendly. Well, almost everyone. There was a market goer who was, shall I say, less than pleased with the prices. To make a long story short, when asked about my sign for chemical free produce and free range, antibiotic and hormone free eggs, I was excited to reply with my standard answer of how our chickens get the very best feed, and the grass and bugs they forage for make their eggs not only higher in beta carotene and omega-3's but also tastier than anything you find in the store. Apparently, we had a difference of opinion. Usually I welcome this type of dialogue wholeheartedly, however, it ended poorly. Mostly with him saying "I was just a kid and didn't know what I was talking about," asking my mom if we "thought city folk were stupid," before storming away, leaving us a little confused.

Now, I would like to take the time to say this: Our belief at Old Nelly Farms, happy and healthy chickens=happy and healthy eggs. Furthermore, I would like to thank both the city folk and country folk who we do not think are stupid, but actually quite smart for thinking critically about the food we grow and how it affects the health of ourselves and the planet. I started this venture to make sure my family had the healthiest food I could provide and feel so fortunate that others not only support this venture and dream, but can reap the same rewards as I do. I am young, believe I do know what I am talking about, and would even go so far as to say your choices are brilliant. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. Well stated!
    I am glad you had a successful day at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Old Nelly Farm Girl. Thanks for giving us wholesome, local, sustainable food that makes us healthy and happy. I thank you for that. Anyone who says they cant taste a difference is stupid and and doing an injustice to themselves. Their loss - more for me. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even Adeline prefers Old Nelly Farm eggs and has turned her nose at other eggs.. and yes, she is very young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I predict that guy will become a secret CSA member by next year!
    Kathleen (Karen's friend)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate and support local farms. If anyone doubts it they should watch Food Inc!

    ReplyDelete