Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happy Campers...




Literally. The broilers are roaming free in the vineyard with a unique shelter-a camper shell I got for free on craigslist. They are so happy. In just a few weeks, they will be ready to dress and we will get a new batch of broilers. I am debating whether to get more chicks or some turkey poults to raise for Thanksgiving. I have a little more research to do on raising turkeys but if anyone wants to add their two cents I will be happy to listen.

The garden is coming along nicely. Unfortunately, the weeds are growing as fast as the plants and we have been so busy planting, weeding has been put on the back burner. As soon as the rain lets up, weeding is next in the list. And our tomatoes are aching to get into the ground. Today was supposed to be tomato planting day, but it it will have to wait until the weather and ground get a little drier. In the meantime, we will weed.

And I have saved the best news for last. We had our first CSA pickup and I feel it was a success. As soon as I figure out how, I will post the newsletter for reference. The bag was heavy on the greens and we tucked an unlikely green in there- our stinging nettles. This year, we have learned to love the nettles despite their sting. Sometimes it just takes a little patience and care to realize the true potential of something. So it is with nettles. Despite the rain, and in part because of it, the chickens are happy, the garden is growing nicely, and it was a great start to our CSA...I guess there are a lot of happy campers at Old Nelly Farms.

No comments:

Post a Comment